Sunday 15 May 2011

Love at first sight

It's hard to believe considering some of the things my current owner has done to me but he claims it was 'love at first sight' when he saw me in the boatyard in Woodbridge. My hull was very chalky, some of my woodwork was rotten and my hatch leaked.

Despite all of this I still felt that I could be made to look good by someone with a bit of patience and willingness to put the effort in. I knew I was sound under all of this and I think my owner did as well because he didn't bother with a survey. I am glad because I hate all the prodding those surveyors feel is necessary.

A month later I was ready to go into the water again, at times I doubted if this would happen again. Two very experienced men at the yard repaired my woodwork and sorted out my engine. The hardwork of sanding down my hull and antifouling it as well as polishing my topsides fell to my new owner. He also washed all of my running rigging and rebedded by bow roller on a new hardwood block. The old one had gone soft and leaked. There were a few other jobs but basically it was a mission to go sailing as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment